Sunday, March 15, 2009

the student becomes the teacher


Look at this guy! One of my best friends, Jeremiah Konrad Torrado Bautista, made his debut performance on his genuinely unique ukulele at Kababayan's 10th Annual Talent Show this past February 26th. It's too wonderful NOT to post...

(the video's taking a while to upload onto youtube.com right now...so i'll update this post with the link momentarily)

One can really tell when someone has a special connection with their musical instrument...and I think the audience that filled the Engineering Lecture Hall definitely caught a hint of it with this guy. I'm honored to have introduced Jeremiah to the beauty of this small, yet mighty, music-maker...I must admit that he's taught a lot of what he knows to himself after being shown the basics. It's not too difficult as long as you put a little heart into it.

I know I'll never forget when I first started learning! The talented Alex Montances is a definite go-to when it comes to learning the ukulele.

_________________________________________________________

Lately, Jeremiah and I have been jamming to the tunes of classics like Frank Sinatra and Herman's Hermits, but we also enjoy throwing in some interesting stuff like Popeye the Sailor Man and Summer Girls (by LFO). I also appreciate the tunes of the native islands from which this instrument originates--Hawaii!

Some of my favorites will always be songs by The Beatles; that's what we're working on right now...

A few of my favorite ukulele chord sites are posted to the right under "spare time". If any musicians are reading this, besides myself, please do take the time to gander through them!

No comments:

Post a Comment