Sunday, March 1, 2009

home visit

Home is where the heart is...

A certain place, smell, familiarity...most importantly, home is wherever my family is.
My family booked me a round-trip flight home for a long weekend (from Friday to Monday) so that I could spend priceless time with my Lola Coring. My mom's mother has lived with us ever since I could remember(...except for the 9 months we spent living in an apartment when we first moved from San Diego to Las Vegas). Her own room has always had its own special scent, with trinkets and souvenir portraits collected and received from loved ones.


Cleaning out the garage in the new house on Jennis Silver St. has put my sister and I in a rummaging mood...actually, just collecting grade-school pictures to put together our k-12 photo frame mom recently bought.....my sister just found Mom's journals (circa 1978) and is laughing while reading through them right now...
Poor Mom is just a few unknowing feet away, sound asleep on the living room couch.

Earlier, my dad and brother stumbled across a Valentine's Card my Lola Gloria had sent my parents in 1989.

It just remind me of how precious mementos of the past can revive memories as well as unfold new perspectives. I saved scanned photos of the letter onto a Facebook album for safekeeping.

I read the letter for the first time, hearing the voice of my Father's mother just how I remember. In a dreamy and most elegant prose, the words danced in my head...painting the genuine love any mother would have for her son's family.

I'm so thankful to have been able to come home...

so many new memories have been made yet again...

*just found Dad's journal...hahah!

No comments:

Post a Comment